Back to the Top ↑

FAQs: Mission, Beliefs and Core Values

What is the mission of MnTC?

Our mission is to assist teens and adults in gaining freedom from chemical addictions and other life controlling problems by addressing their physical, emotional and spiritual needs.


Is Minnesota Adult & Teen Challenge open to all faiths and backgrounds?

Yes, our programs are available to all people regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or public assistance status.

  • Clients do not have to be Christian to attend or to graduate from our programs.
  • Our long-term residential recovery program is a faith-based program.
  • Our licensed treatment programs offer an option for faith based curriculum


What is your is your stance on homosexuality?

We are chemical dependency program; we do not discriminate based on sexual orientation.


What are MnTCs core values?

We treat ourselves and others with compassion, honesty, respect, integrity, servanthood, and trust.

At Minnesota Adult & Teen Challenge, we value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are. We believe each individual should be treated with compassion and honor. This means not only providing a safe and responsive environment for our clients, but also a for our staff, volunteers, and others who come alongside us to support our mission. We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices in our daily work. We commit to using these practices for the betterment of our organization and the communities in which we serve.

Back to the Top ↑

FAQs: Admissions and Financial Assistance

How do I apply to MnTC?

There are several ways to apply to an MnTC program, including:

  • Call the Admissions Department at 612-FREEDOM (612.373.3366) and dial 1 for Admissions. An Admissions specialist will gather demographics and schedule an insurance chemical health assessment or eligible county chemical health assessment at MnTC or refer you or your loved one to your county social service agency to get a Rule 25 (chemical health evaluation).
  • Schedule a Rule 25 assessment at your Minnesota County Social Services office and have them fax the results to admissions at 612.823.4913
  • Those in jail or prison may complete an application by asking for one from the Corrections Liaison, Admissions Department, or Jail Programmer
  • Applications can be hand delivered or completed in out admissions lobby located at 3231 1st Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55408. Lobby Hours are M-F from 8am-4:30pm. Other locations include Rochester (Men), Rochester (Women), Duluth and Brainerd.
  • Applications may also be faxed to our Admissions Department 612.823.4913 or mailed to MnTC at 740 E. 24th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55404


How long does the application process take? How quickly can I be admitted into your program?

The application process typically varies from within 24 hours up to 2 weeks depending on details of the specific case, and the time it takes to verify insurance or other documents, etc. In processing each application we consider:

  • Willingness to participate in the program/interest in making significant life changes
  • Mental health status/mental health medications
  • Medical conditions/prescribed medications
  • Legal status, past and present
  • Existence of outstanding warrants
  • Funding eligibility
  • Level of care required
  • Location or residency


What is the cost of your program?

During the Admissions process we will review each client’s specific situation; however, the following information provides some general guidelines.

  • If you have insurance coverage, most insurance providers will pay for at least a portion of licensed treatment and mental health treatment services.
  • Some clients are eligible for State or County funding for our long term residential recovery and licensed treatment programs
  • For our long-term residential recovery program, our Admissions team can provide more information based upon the specifics of your situation. Financial assistance may be available based on your specific needs.
  • Cost for mental health services varies by per provider.


What ages do you accept into your treatment programs?
  • Clients in MnTC programs range in age from 13-78 years old.
  • All MnTC programs are open to those 18+.
  • Males and females 16+ may be admitted into Licensed Treatment programs.
  • Women’s residential programs are available in Minneapolis and Rochester campuses only.
  • Men’s residential programs are available at all campuses.
  • Lakeside Academy accepts only boys, age 13-18 years old.

Click here for more information about Lakeside Academy.


Do you accept my insurance?
  • MnTC accepts most insurance in our Licensed Treatment programs.
  • Long-Term Recovery is not covered by any insurance.
  • Admissions will ask for your insurance information and screen for benefits.
  • The county of the campus would determine if Rule 25 funds will be available or if Probation will transfer.
  • Clients will be billed for the amount insurance does not cover.
  • Medicare and VA benefits will not cover MnTC.


How do I apply for County funding?
  • Call the Admissions Department to start your process. We can help by giving you the phone number for your County Social Service Department (Available to Minnesota residence only).
  • Licensed Treatment (14-90 days): Schedule an appointment in your county for a Rule 25 assessment and application for Consolidated Chemical Dependency Treatment Funds (CCDTF).
  • Adult Long Term Residential Recovery Program (12-15 months): Schedule an appointment to apply for cash assistance, medical assistance, and Group Residential Housing funds (GRH).
  • *Please Note* – Most Counties require a Rule 25 assessment even though you are not going to Licensed Treatment before you can apply for GRH funds.
  • Male Teens: 13-17-year-olds enrolled at Lakeside Academy will pay for tuition monthly.  No GRH funds are available for those under 18.


Does MnTC take clients on Rule 25 from the County?

You may go to the County you reside in, if you qualify for assistance, and have an assessment completed there. MnTC will require a copy once Inpatient/Residential treatment is recommended and you specify MnTC as your treatment provide. Please have the Rule 25/CD assessment faxed to 612-823-4913 ATTN: ADMISSIONS (or your Specialist’s name, if you know it).


How can I pay for my program if I do not qualify for county funding or other types of funding?

Typically, clients seek assistance from family, friends, community or church for support.


Can I enter the program if I have upcoming court dates?
  • Residential clients are allowed to enter MnTC programs with court dates pending. We do take into consideration the severity and nature of any crimes to determine program eligibility.  Some applicants may not be appropriate for our program and will be denied admission.
  • Residential clients admitted to MnTC programs with pending court dates must provide their own transportation to court appointments.


Can I come to MnTC if I have criminal charges pending in another state?
  • This is determined on a case-by-case basis. In some situations clients may enroll in our Licensed Treatment Program (14-90 day program) and pay the full program costs out-of-pocket, then go back to their home state to complete their sentencing.
  • At times a Court will allow an individual to come to MnTC to complete the Long-Term Recovery Program as a condition of their sentencing; in this situation clients must pay the program costs out-of-pocket due to their out of state residency.


If I’m on probation in another state, may I enter Minnesota Adult & Teen Challenge?
  • This is determined on a case-by-case basis. We do take into consideration the severity and nature of the crime to determine program eligibility.
  • The county of the campus oversees probation cases. It is very rare that the state of MN will allow felony level probation to transfer. Meaning, they would deny the person entry to MnTC.
  • In some cases, persons desiring admission to MnTC are granted permission to travel. We would consider admission in this situation, but they would be expected to pay all program costs out-of- pocket.


Is there a waiting list for your residential programs?

Typically, we schedule individuals based on the next available open bed;  we may refer to another MnTC campus to advance the Intake date.


What type of insurance is accepted by MnTC?
  • Most insurance providers are in network
  • Clients cannot use Tri-care to pay for treatment
  • Clients cannot use Medicare to pay for treatment; however, if clients do not have a supplemental insurance and are under the county income guidelines, they may qualify for county funding
  • If a client has an eligible supplemental insurance, they may use this to pay for treatment
  • Clients cannot use Medical Assistance to pay for treatment. However, if the client is eligible for Rule 25 without the supplement insurance, clients may use their county funding for treatment


Can I just drop off my loved one at the door?

It’s always best to try and make an appointment for your loved one by calling 612-FREEDOM. However, MnTC understands the urgency of your loved ones situation and does accommodate walk-in assessments Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00AM to 2:00PM, based on staffing availability.


Does MnTC accept people into its residential programs who have eating disorders?

Yes, as long as the primary condition at time of Admission is chemical dependency. Chemical treatment will be prioritized and then the client may address his or her eating disorder.


Can you help with credit card bills?
  • Clients in the Long-term Recovery Program will work on a personal budget.
  • For clients in our Long-Term Recovery program, a staff member can provide verification of client enrollment to a credit card agency, with written request of the client.


Do you accept clients in wheelchairs?

MnTC is not a medical facility and does not have lift kits in vans or for bathing and managing personal care.


Do you accept clients with other physical limitations or disabilities?
  • Our goal is always to provide a safe environment while maintaining our high quality care standards. Every applicant case is screened to ensure fit with these goals.
  • Hearing impaired or deaf clients have attended our programs with use of a sign language interpreter


Do you accept pregnant women into your treatment and recovery programs?

Yes, as long as one’s medical needs do not exceed our program requirements.


Are clients in MnTC’s residential programs required to be Christian for either program admission or graduation?
  • Clients are not required to be Christian either to attend or to graduate MnTC programs.
  • Our Licensed Treatment program is a secular program with an option for faith-based curriculum available upon request.
  • Our long-term residential recovery program is a faith-based program. Clients are not required to be Christian for enrollment into the program; however all clients are expected to participate in the full program curriculum.


Do you accept clients on methadone?

No, please review the Prohibited Medications List below.


Does MnTC offer Mobile Assessments?

Yes, our Assessors do conduct mobile assessments at jails, prisons, detox facilities and hospitals for clients interested in attending treatment at MnTC. Clients currently incarcerated need to complete and submit a jail application before requesting a Mobile Assessment. Clients in detox or a hospital can call 612-FREEDOM to request a mobile assessment.

Can I admit the same day I am assessed?

In some cases, yes. However, there are a number of factors to consider. The first step to admission is to complete an Chemical Health Assessment, sometimes known as a Rule 25 Assessment, either at an MnTC location or another treatment facility. If your assessment was completed elsewhere, please have it faxed to (612)823-4913. Once the assessment is received, it is assigned to a Case Coordinator who will assist you through the intake process. Other factors to consider prior to admission include, funding authorization, withdrawal needs, and bed availability. MnTC works diligently to get people in as quickly as possible and if able, same day.

Does MnTC offer Mobile Assessments?

Back to the Top ↑

FAQs: Programs Offered

What type of treatment and recovery programs does MnTC offer?

We offer a full range of services to effectively help men, women, and teens with a broad spectrum of addiction issues, from those seeking treatment for the first time, to those who have been struggling with addiction for many years. Clients range in age from 13-75 years.  Over 3,200 clients received services in 2016.

  • Licensed Treatment (Rule 31) – Out-Patient and Residential Options – 14-90 days; faith-based track available upon request [Learn More]
  • Long-Term Recovery – 12 month faith-based residential program [Learn More]
  • Mental health services – address co-occurring disorders such as anxiety, depression, PTSD, etc.
  • Aftercare | Transitional housing | Leadership training [Learn More]
  • Prevention program targeting MN youth in grades 6-12, with corresponding parent and community education forums [Learn More]
  • MN Locations: Minneapolis, Brainerd, Duluth, Rochester, Buffalo (Lakeside Academy – teen boys center)


Do you have a detox or offer detox services?

MnTC is not a detox facility. However, MnTC contracts with Kai Shin Clinic to offer Ambulatory Detox services to clients who are eligible in Minneapolis. Eligibility is based on a number of factors such as, a clients age, health, chemical use history, past withdrawal symptoms and risk, active insurance/MA, etc. If a person is eligible for Ambulatory Detox, they will work with Kai Shin doctors while in treatment at MnTC to ensure a safe and comfortable detox from all mood altering substances. If clients are not suitable for Ambulatory Detox, MnTC admissions staff will work with outside agencies to coordinate admission into a detox facility and a direct transfer into an MnTC program once released.


Do you offer Mental Health Services or is MnTC a dual diagnosis facility?

Yes, MnTC offers co-occurring licensed mental health services for eligible clients in the program.


Do you offer family counseling?

Yes, we offer family counseling to clients in our programs.


Do you offer Dialetical Behavior Therapy (DBT)?

Yes, we contract with a provider to offer DBT and other mental health therapies for eligible clients.


Do you offer a 12-step program? Are you a 12-step program?

We offer 12-step programming as a component of a broader treatment curriculum.


Do you offer interventions?

No, we do not offer interventions.

Back to the Top ↑

FAQs: General Program Policies and Procedures

Can I work on my High School credits or get my GED while in the program?

Yes, clients may work on High School credits or get his/her GED while in the program.


May I work while I’m enrolled in a residential program?

No, due to the rigorous schedule of both our programs, clients are not able to be employed, seek employment or go to school while in any residential program.


Do you allow smoking?

No, we are a tobacco-free environment, but we do allow eligible clients to use the 10-week cycle of the patch.


What are the visiting hours for clients enrolled in Residential programs?

Please see our visiting hours, information and guidelines below:


Visiting Hours, Information, and Guidelines


What is the daily schedule like for residential clients?

Daily schedules may vary by site, but typical schedules can be viewed below:

Men’s Licensed Treatment ScheduleMen’s Long-Term ScheduleWomen’s Licensed Treatment ScheduleWomen’s Long-Term Schedule


Is MnTC a lock-down facility?

No, MnTC is not a lock-down facility.


What do I need money for while I’m enrolled at MnTC and how much should I bring when I come?
  • Clients need to pay for personal hygiene and personal need items; in addition, clients may go on coffee walks, order in food on weekends, and attend certain events for which they will need money.
  • The amount you decide to bring with you is a personal or family decision.
  • Some MnTC clients qualify for general assistance from the State and will receive $97 a month from the State while enrolled in the program


Do you have a gym I can work out in?

Yes, we provide work-out space and state of the art gym equipment at every location.


Do you offer clients transport services to court appointments?
  • If staff members are available, MnTC may provide transports within a 5-mile radius.
  • For clients who do not have family support, or if the court requires an MnTC staff member to accompany a client to court, then we will arrange for transportation.


If I’m enrolled in the Long-term Residential Recovery program, am I ever allowed to leave? What are the passes like?

Please see Pass Policy documents below:

Pass Policy for Licensed TreatmentPass Policy for Long-Term Recovery


Can you help with child protection service?
  • Your program manager will update the Child Protection Agency of progress, per court order
  • For clients in our Long-Term Recovery program, a staff member can provide verification of client enrollment to a child protection agency, with written request of the client.


Do you help with legal advice?

Clients in the Long-term Recovery program have access to a legal pro-bono appointment.


May I see my chiropractor while enrolled in a residential  program?

Yes, however appointments may only take place on Saturdays and be within 5 miles of his or her respective building. For more information on appointments, please see our Appointment Policy below:

Appointment Policy


May I go to the dentist while in the program?

Yes, clients may go to the dentist while in the program. For more information on appointments, please see our Appointment Policy below:

Appointment Policy


May I drive my car and park it at your treatment facility while I’m enrolled in a residential program?

No, please arrange for transportation to your Admissions appointment.


How many visitors may I have on visiting day?

Yes. Please be aware of our visitor hours and guidelines:

Visiting Hours, Information, and Guidelines


Can I attend my brother’s wedding while enrolled in a residential program?

Decisions to allow special passes are made on a case by case basis.


Can I attend the birth of my child while enrolled in a residential program?

In most cases, yes, assuming there are no legal or other restrictions, clients may attend the birth of children while enrolled in a residential program.


Can my boyfriend/girlfriend visit me while I’m enrolled in a residential program?

Decisions to accept visitors are made on a case by case basis.  All visitors must be approved in advance by program staff and/or the legal team.


Do you accept women and children together into residential treatment programs?

No, we do not accept women and children together into residential treatment programs.


Do I need a calling card to make outside calls?

No, staff will provide a phone for every client to use during phone time.


How much phone time is allowed?

This depends on a few factors. Please see the Phone Call Policy below:

Phone Call Policy


Do I have access to a computer?

No, clients do not have access to a computer unless you are a teen in school.


Do you have pianos?

Yes, clients have access to pianos.


Do all clients enrolled in the Long-Term Residential Recovery program sing in the MnTC Choir?

Yes, everyone in the Long-Term program is required to participate in the choir activities.


Can I have overnights with my spouse?

Yes, clients may have overnights with spouses at specific times in the program.

Back to the Top ↑

FAQs: Foods/Medications/Belongings Allowed Into Program

What snacks may I have in the program?

Please see the attached Men’s and Women’s Snack Lists:

Men’s Snack ListWomen’s Snack List


Am I able to take narcotic medication while enrolled at MnTC?

No, we do not admit residential clients who are taking prescription narcotics. Clients are allowed to take approved, prescribed medications. Please see the Prohibited Medications List below:

Prohibited Medications List


What can I bring with me when I’m admitted into a residential program?

Please see the attached Packing Lists below:

Womens Packing ListMens Packing List


Can I take my medications while living at MnTC?

Please see the Prohibited Medications List below:

Prohibited Medications List


Can I bring essential oils?

No, essential oils are not allowed. Please see the attached recommended Packing Lists below:

Womens Packing ListMens Packing List


Do you allow clients to bring in protein for diet?

No, muscle building/protein powders are not allowed. Please see the Men’s and Women’s Snack Lists below:

Men’s Snack ListWomen’s Snack List


Can I bring caffeine?

Yes, clients can bring caffeine per staff approval.


May I bring my therapy dog with me to treatment?

Decisions about use of working animals are made on a case-by-case basis, including screening certification.


May I bring my dog to visiting days?

Each building has different animal policies and restrictions.  Please check with your counselor prior to bringing any pet to a facility.


Do you allow cell phones for clients in residential programs?

No, cell phones for clients are not allowed in residential programs.


Can I bring my computer?

No, clients cannot bring computers.


May I bring my guitar?

Yes, clients may bring his/her guitar, but we suggest that clients get settled in first. MnTC is not responsible for lost or damaged items.


May I bring my Quran?

Yes, a client may bring his/her Quran.


May I bring my Big Book?

Yes, a client may bring his/her Big Book.


May I bring my radio?

No, clients cannot bring radios. For the full list of prohibited items, please see the attached Packing Lists below:

Womens Packing ListMens Packing List


Do you allow Suboxone?

Suboxone (Taper no longer than 90 days) or Naltrexone/Vivitrol will be considered for limited use, on a case by case basis, under the direct supervision of a Licensed Prescriber. Please see the Prohibited Medications List below:

Prohibited Medications List


Back to the Top ↑

FAQs: Donating and Volunteering

I have a question regarding my recent financial gift to MnTC.  Who can I call?

Call 612-Freedom and follow the prompts, or email


What items can I donate to MnTC?

Clothing: MnTC accepts new and lightly used clothing donations depending on current needs. We ask that Men’s and Women’s clothing be separated for easy distribution to our various centers. To schedule a donation, please call 612-FREEDOM and follow prompts, or send an email to the appropriate party.  For Men’s clothing donations contact For Women’s clothing donations, please contact


Vehicles:  Our Cars For Recovery program accepts cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, and a range of other vehicles.  Salvaged or sold, and the funds directly support our Know the Truth prevention program. If you are interested in donating a vehicle, please contact Bruce Studer at 612-238-6162 or You can also find more information on our vehicle donation page.

Household items: We accept new and lightly used household items such as dishes, cookware, small electronics, and lamps based on current need. To arrange for a donation, please call 612-FREEDOM and follow the prompts, or contact

Furniture: We accept certain types of furniture in good to excellent condition based on current need. To arrange for a donation, please call 612-FREEDOM and follow the prompts, contact


How can I volunteer?

MnTC is always seeking volunteers to help out at various events and participate in our mentorship program.


May I give to MNTC through my Will or Estate?

Yes, for more information, please read about our Planned Giving on our Donate page. Please also read our Endowment information page.


Back to the Top ↑

FAQs: All Other Questions

What if my friend/loved one doesn’t want to go to MnTC or they don’t think they have a problem? Do you give advice on interventions? Who do I call?
  • MnTC is a voluntary program and is not a lock-down facility. The client needs to want to be here.
  • Clients need to admit they have a problem and want help. Although we cannot give advice on what to say to a loved one, we do recommend that you speak the truth with love, care and concern and NOT in condemnation or criticism.
  • MnTC does not conduct interventions. These resources may be of help:
    • Interventionists: AIR 1-800-561-8158; Marc Hertz (651)294-2341 or (888) 635-7078
    • Phoenix Process Consultants (952)922-8822
    • Deb Scheide (612) 309-1966
    • Michael Lewis (612) 961-0068
  • If your loved one is suicidal or mentally unstable, please take the situation seriously and direct them to the psychiatric and mental health professionals at the hospital, or call 911.


How can I schedule the MnTC choir at my church?

To host the MnTC Choir, please contact our Church Relations Coordinator at 612-238-6116, or by emailing


What detox and treatment centers do you recommend?
  • Ramsey County Detox (St. Paul, MN) 651-266-4008
  • Fairview Riverside Detox (Minneapolis, MN) – Opiates 612-672-6600
  • 1800 Chicago (Minneapolis, MN) – Alcohol 612-879-3646
  • Mission Care Detox (Plymouth, MN) 763-559-1402
  • St. Johns Hospital (Maplewood, MN) 651-232-7000
  • St. Joseph’s Hospital (St. Paul, MN)  651-326-3645, 651-232-3644
  • Unity Hospital (Fridley, MN) 763-236-5000
  • Dorothy Day Center (St. Paul, MN) 651-213-1919
  • Regions Hospital (St. Paul, MN) 651-254-3456
  • Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC, Minneapolis) 612-873-3131
  • Salvation Army (Minneapolis, MN) 612-338-0113
  • Cambridge Medical Center (Cambridge, MN) 763-689-7700

You may also contact one of our closest MnTC Centers for additional help: Minneapolis, Rochester – Men’s Center, Rochester – Women’s Center, Duluth, Brainerd, Lakeside Academy.

In addition, please check with an emergency room near you if needed.


When and where do you hold graduation for Minneapolis program clients?

All are welcome to graduation celebrations for Minneapolis clients.  Graduation is celebrated the last Friday of each month, 1:00 PM, at Christ Church International, 3015 13th Ave S., Minneapolis 55407.


Is there a Teen Challenge closer to my state than Minnesota?

Contact the National Teen Challenge office: P O Box 1015, Springfield, MO 65801; (417) 862-6969; or go to to find other Center Locations.


Do clients stay connected after graduating?

Yes, many MnTC Alumni stay connected after graduating, and many do so through Facebook. If you’re a recent graduate from these locations, please request to join any of these Facebook Groups: MnTC Alumni – Mpls, Women’s Brainerd Lakes Area MnTC Alumni, MnTC Alumni – Duluth, MnTC Alumni/Staff & TCLI.


Address: 740 E. 24th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55404

Phone: 612-373-3366
Text: MNTC to 900900

Other MnTC Sites

Know the Truth
Lakeside Academy

Best Minneapolis Drug Rehab & Alcohol Rehab Centers