Program Admissions

What snacks may I have in the program?
What types of programs does MnTC offer?

Mn Adult and Teen Challenge has a wide variety of programs for teens and adults. Not all programs are available at every location. We offer outpatient services,  short term residential treatment, and long term residential recovery programs. Learn more about MnTC programs.

How long does the application process take?

It varies from 24 hours to 2 weeks depending on verifying documents or detox needed. In processing an application we consider:

  • Willingness to participate in the program/interest in changing
  • Mental health/medications
  • Medical condition/medications
  • Legal status, past and present
  • Outstanding warrants
  • Funding eligibility
  • Level of care required
  • Location or residency
How do I apply to MnTC?
  • Call the Admissions Department at 612.373.3366 and dial 1 for admissions
  • Schedule a Rule 25 assessment at your Minnesota County Social Services office and have them fax the results to admissions at 612.823.4913
  • Inmates may complete an application by asking for one from the Corrections Liaison, Admissions Department, or Jail Programmer
  • Applications can be hand delivered or completed in out admissions lobby located at 3231 1st Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55408
    • Lobby Hours are M-F from 8am-4:30pm
  • Applications can be faxed to our Admissions Department 612.823.4913
  • Aplications can be mailed to 1619 Portland Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55404

 **Click Here to Download an Application**

What detox and treatment centers do you recommend?
  • Ramsey County Detox (St. Paul) 651-266-4008
  • Fairview Riverside Detox (Mpls) – Opiates 612-672-6600
  • 1800 Chicago (Mpls) – Alcohol 612-879-3646
  • Mission Care Detox (Plymouth) 763-559-1402
  • St. Johns Hospital (Maplewood) 651-232-7000
  • St. Joseph’s Hospital (St. Paul)  651-326-3645, 651-232-3644
  • Unity Hospital (Fridley) 763-236-5000
  • Dorthy Day Center (St. Paul) 651-213-1919
  • Regions Hospital (St. Paul) 651-254-3456
  • HCMC (Mpls) 612-873-3131
  • Salvation Army (Mpls) 612-338-0113
  • Cambridge Medical Center (Cambridge) 763-689-7700
  • Check with an emergency room near you
Can I work on my High School credits or get my GED while in the program?

Yes. There are 2 schools: Challenge Academy and MNTC Academy
• Challenge Academy is a Minneapolis Public School that operates year-round for our Shorter-Term Program residents ages 16-21.
• MNTC Academy is a Private School that operates year-round for our Long-Term Program residents ages 14-21.
Residents who do not have a high school diploma or GED are automatically enrolled in their respective school at the time they enter our program. In both placements, licensed teachers assist the residents as they learn using our individualized and teacher-led curriculum. Shorter-Term Program residents who complete high school graduation requirements while in Challenge Academy receive a Minneapolis high school diploma. Long-Term Program residents who complete high school graduation requirements while in MnTC Academy receive a Mn Teen Challenge Academy diploma.

  • GED programming is not currently available
What happens if my teenager runs away from the program?

If this unfortuante circumstance were to occur, Mn Adult and Teen Challenge staff would notify the parent and suggest calling the Sherriff's Department.

If the resident wishes to re-enter the program, the Review Board would meet to determine if the teen may be readmitted.

Where can my 13 year old go if you don't accept students that age?

• Contact the National Teen Challenge office: P O Box 1015, Springfield, MO 65801; (417) 862-6969; or go the website  Click on Center Locations. When the site comes up, click “Deselect All” on the right hand side, and then select the program you are interested in. Only the programs meeting that criteria will be present.
• MnTC has other resources that we can refer you to. Call 612-373-3366 press  1.

Or contact the National Teen Challenge offices:
Teen Challenge National
PO BOX 1015
Springfield, MO 65801
Phone: (417) 862-6969

Do you accept my insurance?

• The Long Term program is not covered by any insurance.
• MnTC accepts most insurance in our short term, Life Renewal Program.
• The Admission Dept. will ask for the insurance information and screen for benefits.
• If you have insurance or are a Hennepin County resident admissions reps can schedule an assessment at MnTC after the application is received.
• Clients will be billed for the amount insurance does not cover.
• Medicare and VA benefits will not cover MnTC. 

How do I apply for County funding?

• Call the Admissions Department to start your process. We can help by giving you the phone number for your County Social Service Department (Available to Minnesota residence only).
• Short Term Life Renewal Program (7-90 days): Schedule an appointment in your county for a Rule 25 assessment and application for CCDTF (Consolidated Chemical Dependency Treatment Funds). 

• Adult Long Term Program (13+ months): Schedule an appointment to apply for cash assistance, medical assistance, and Group Residential Housing funds (GRH).
*Please Note* - Most Counties require a Rule 25 assessment even though you are not going to the Short Term Life Renewal Program before you can apply for GRH funds.
• Male Teens; 14-17-year-olds in the Long Term Program (9+ months) will pay for tuition monthly. The tuition is $1350.00 per month. No GRH funds are available for those under 18.

Do you take clients on Rule 25 from the County?

Yes. You may go to the County you reside in, if you qualify for assistance, and can get the assessed there. MnTC will need to have a copy, once you find out that In Patient treatment is recommended and you specify MnTC. Please have the Rule 25/CD assessment faxed to 612-823-4913 ATTN: ADMISSIONS or your Reps name, if you know it.

How can I pay for my program if I do not qualify for county funding?

Seek assistance from family, friends, community or church.

Can I enter the program if I have upcoming court dates?

Residents are allowed to enter the program with court dates pending. We do take into consideration the severity and nature of the crime to determine eligibility. Some applicants may not be appropriate for our program and will be denied admission.

Residents admitted to the program with pending court dates must provide their own transportation to court.

Can I come to MnTC if I have criminal charges pending in another state?

This is determined on a case-by-case basis. In some situations residents can enroll in our Short-Term Program (7-90 day program) and pay the full program costs out-of-pocket, then go back to their state to finish their sentencing.

Sometimes the courts will allow a person to come to MnTC to complete the Long-Term (13-15 month) Program as a condition of their sentencing; in this situation these residents will have to pay the program costs out-of-pocket due to their out of state residency.

If I'm on probation in another state, may I enter Minnesota Adult & Teen Challenge?

This is also determined on a case-by-case basis. We do take into consideration the severity and nature of the crime to determine eligibility (felony, misdemeanor, on paper, off paper reporting).

Hennepin County oversees probation. It is very rare that the state of MN will allow felony level probation to transfer. Meaning, they would deny the person entry to MnTC.

In some cases persons desiring admission to MnTC are granted permission to travel. We would consider admission in this situation, but they would be expected to pay all program costs out-of-pocket.

What if my friend/loved one doesn't want to go to MnTC or they don't think they have a problem? Do you give advice on interventions? Who do I call?

• MnTC is a voluntary program and is not a lock-down facility. The client needs to want to be here. 

• They need to admit they have a problem and want help. Although we cannot give advice on what to say to them, we recommend that you speak the truth with love, care and concern and NOT in condemnation or criticism.

• MnTC does not do interventions. We have referrals we can give you: Interventionists: AIR 1-800-561-8158; Marc Hertz Consulting toll free at (888) 635-7078 or locally at (651) 294-2341; Phoenix Process Consultants (952)922-8822; Deb Scheide (612)309-1966; Michael Lewis (612) 961-0068

• If your loved one is suicidal or mentally unstable, please take the situation seriously and direct them to the psychiatric and mental health professionals at the hospital, or call 911.

Can I work while I'm in the program?

No, due to the rigorous schedule of both our programs, clients are not able to be employed, seek employment or go to school while in either program. Also you cannot store your vehicle at MnTC while in either program.

Is there a Teen Challenge closer to my state than Minnesota?

Contact the National Teen Challenge office: P O Box 1015, Springfield, MO 65801; (417) 862-6969; or go the website Click on Center Locations. When the site comes up, click “Deselect All” on the right hand side, and then select the program you are interested in. Only the programs meeting that criteria will be present.

Am I able to take narcotic medication while at MnTC?

We no longer admit residents to MnTC who currently take prescription narcotics. (See Prohibited Medications list in the application)

Clients are allowed to take approved, prescribed medications

Clients entering the Long-Term Program (13-15 Months) are allowed to be on a prescribed suboxone taper for up to 3 months